We Want to Meet You at SIGCOMM 2017
“All knowledge is connected to all other knowledge. The fun is in making the connections.”(Arthur C Aufderheide)
Several VMware Research members are headed to the ACM SIGCOMM 2017, the ACM Special Interest Group on Data Communication (SIGCOMM 2017), which will take place August 21-25, 2017 on the UCLA campus in Los Angeles, CA. VMware is proud to be a Bronze Sponsor of this year’s event.
In addition to sponsoring, we are excited to be involved in planning, presenting, and chairing components of the conference. But we are mostly looking forward to connecting and gaining knowledge from our fellow data communication enthusiasts.
Please stop us and say hi. You can find us at:
- The NetPL Workshop on 8/21 Session 2 at 11:00. Mooly Sagiv will discuss “Abstraction for Safety of Stateful Networks.”
- The N2Women Dinner on 8/21 at 8 PM where Sujata Banerjee is a presenter and Radhika Niranjan Mysore is the chair of this event.
- Technical Session 1 – Programmable Devices on 8/22 at 11:15 where dRMT:Disaggregated Programmable Switching is being presented. The collaborative team of authors includes a cross section of industry and academia: Sharad Chole , Andy Fingerhut, Sha Ma Shang-Tse Chung, and Tom Edsall (Cisco Systems Inc.), Anirudh Sivaraman and Mohammad Alizadeh (MIT), Shay Vargaftik, Alon Berger, Ariel Orda, and Gal Mendelson (Technion), and our own Isaac Keslassy (Technion, VMware Inc.). Be sure to read ahead so that you can challenge the speakers with insightful questions.
- Technical Session 2 – NFV (Network functions virtualization) is chaired by Sujata Banerjee on 8/21 from 2:00-3:15. Sujata also served on the SIGCOMM program committee this year.
- Technical Session 7 – DC Architecture on 8/23 at 4:15. One of our interns, Asaf Valadarsky who is supported by a Microsoft Research Ph.D. scholarship, is a co-author of the paper Beyond fat-trees without antennae, mirrors, and disco-balls along with Simon Kassing (ETH Zurich), Gal Shahaf, and Michael Schapira (Hebrew University of Jerusalem), and Ankit Singla (ETH Zurich). The title alone is a reason to stop by.
- The very 1st international workshop on Hot Topics in Container Networking and Networked Systems (HotConNet’17) on 8/25 starting at 9:15 AM. Both Bruce Davie and Ben Pfaff are on the technical program committee for this debut event.
- Besides the scheduled appearances you can be sure to see many of us at any interesting talk, workshop or discussion: Sujata Banerjee, Israel Cidon, Radhika Niranjan Mysore, Ben Pfaff, Leonid Ryzhyk, Mooly Sagiv, Asaf Valadarsky and David Tennenhouse, VMware’s Chief Research Officer.
You can be sure to find all of us celebrating the Test of Time Award (this is a prestigious award!) on 8/22 at the SIGCOMM 2017 Awards Ceremony for Ethane: Taking control of the Enterprise (SIGCOMM 2007) Martin Casado, Justin Pettit, Jianying Luo, and Nick McKeown (Stanford University), Michael J Freedman (Princeton University) and Scott Shenker (UC Berkeley, ICSI).
Martin Casado is a former General Manager at VMware, and Justin Pettit is a VMware Senior Staff Engineer.
Check back here to see updates on what we discovered at SIGCOMM.
If you are interested in working with us (internships, post docs, researchers) apply here.